Great movie, great manga, great movie!
- You may remember Rock from Moony Man and Detective Boy Rock Holmes
- A big fan of Lang's 1927 Metropolis is Joseph Goebbels
- Tima survives, which is a great ending card, but also firmly de-legitimizes her power base!
- Fifi is from both Tezuka's and Rintaro's Metropolis - Fifi is the robot in the lair, while in the movie Fifi is the robot that gives Kenichi Tima's heart
- For those of you curious as to what exactly influenced Hitchcock, it's the Schufftan process, which I've linked below
- If you're interested in another interpretation of Metropolis, you might find William Benzon's "The Song at the End of the World: Personal Apocalypse in Rintaro's Metropolis" a fascinating read - Benzon focuses on Rintaro's choice music, and briefly describes how it places family matters in the foreground
- McVeigh, Brian. Postwar Japan's "Hard" and "Soft Nationalism", JPRI 73 (2001), http://www.jpri.org/publications/workingpapers/wp73.html
- Nae Hauf-Way Hoose. 地震, http://naehauf-wayhoose.blogspot.com/2011/03/blog-post.html
- Yoshiwara, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshiwara
- The Tower of Babel (Brueghel), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tower_of_Babel_(Bruegel)
- Martin. Anime UK News, http://www.animeuknews.net/anime.php?id=833
- Snider, Drew. What's the Big Deal?: Metropolis (1927), http://www.film.com/movies/whats-the-big-deal-metropolis-1927
- NPR. An Anime Metropolis, http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2002/jan/metropolis/020124.metropolis.html
- Yasar, Kerim. Japanese Visions of Fritz Lang's "Metropolis", http://dissertationreviews.org/archives/2343
- Bordwell, David. Metropolis Unbound, http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/2010/04/05/metropolis-unbound/
- Bird, Lawrence. Dialectical Imaginaries: forms of life, forms of fascism in the Metropolis of film, manga and anime, Critical Planning (2012): 38-54
- Bird, Lawrence. States of Emergency: Urban Space and the Robotic Body in the Metropolis Tales, Mechademia 3 (2008): 127-148.
- Eagan, Daniel. Mad 'Metropolis', Film Journal International (2001): 68.
- The Influence of Fritz Lang's 'Metropolis' on Future Films, https://sjfilmhistory.wordpress.com/2014/02/03/774/
- Hutchinson, Pamela. Future-proof: How Metropolis still inspires fashion, The Guardian, http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/fashion-blog/2012/feb/27/metropolis-inspires-the-fashion-world
- Szirmai, Adam. The Dynamics of Socio-Economic Development: An Introduction, Cambridge Press, 2005.
- Knack, Steve. Institutions and the Convergence Hypothesis: The Cross-National Evidence, Public Choice 87 (1996): 207-228
- Metropolis (1927)
- Metropolis (1949)
- Metropolis (2001)
- World War 2 Pacific Theater Public Domain stock footage
- I can't stop loving you by Ray Charles
- Colossus - Wonders by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
- Bet on It by Silent Partner
- With a Stamp by Twin Musicom is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)